During my MG Altron build/review I somehow managed to rip out a connecting peg of one of the arm connecting brace of the dragon fangs, and since those connectors are flimsy the damaged connector does not want to stay flush on the forearm where it is mounted. Seeing this on a hard to acquire P-Bandai kit drives me nuts! The only way to resolve this is to repair it, but I don’t have my full modelling tools with me at the moment so I’ll have to make do with what I have.
The basic tools of the trade, a small size blade knife and a model side cutter. I’m currently not able to buy a hobby knife, and I’m more comfortable working with the blade knife.
The damage, while trying to pry apart the connecting brace, I snapped a very thin peg that fits in to the thin connecting bar that goes straight through the forearm of the Altron Gundam. This is poorly designed in my opinion because, the dragon fang connecting braces are only held together by two pegs on either ends and one of them is very thin. The other big slot is for the polycap/ABS joint where the dragon fang is connected.
On the hole where the broken peg is supposed to go in to, I tried pulling out the broken peg from the hole, but failed. I was seriously considering buying a new pin vice drill when all hopes are lost. Luckily the hole goes deep in to the bar and all I did was push the broken peg in.
The thing now is to find a replacement peg, the only material I have are 4 mm bars which is too big.
I salvaged the tray where the connecting braces came from and selected a suitable part to be worked on as replacement peg.
After cutting the ideal replacement part, it has to be sanded down to fit into the hole.
Since I don’t have a needle file and I’m too cheap to buy a new set, I roughly carved the plastic piece to reduce its diameter.
I used the roughest sandpaper to smooth out the carved plastic piece. In this case I used a 110 grit sanding paper and finalised it with a 600 grit.
It’ll be very helpful if you have one of these in your tool kit, good thing I brought this with me. These are my sandpaper holders, very useful on gunplas.
After smoothing and sanding out the plastic piece down to the correct diameter, it’s time to cut it up and glue it to the broken part to be repaired.
First I carved out a shallow hole where the repair piece will be placed, and then I glued the part using a pen type cement by Mr. Hobby called, Mr. Cement Limonene Pen. For some reason, the only hobby shop that provide Gunpla supplies in my current area only sell this kind of cement. It’s useful when you’re gluing whole separate parts, but it’s not easy to use when you’re reapplying cement to an already bonded area or tight spaces where the point can’t reach.
After letting the repair cure for an hour, I retrofitted the repaired part to see if there are any problems, and so far so good.
Here’s my MG Altron Gundam all repaired, still the red Links for the dragon fangs are floppy. The repair part can carry the weight of the armament like new.
Some things I want to point out that I have not seen on other reviews is how the kit hold up after the initial build. If you’re like me who likes to play with their kits for a bit, you’ll see some problems with your kit that are rarely mentioned on reviews.
In this forearm piece you can clearly see a hairline crack from the elbow joint. This is a common problem in the Shenlong kit that is obviously inherited by the Altron since they utilise the same parts.
The crack happens because the pegs inside the forearm armor is a tad too thick. I only found out about this just now. To avoid that cracking, you will need to sand this down.
I’m also starting to see a lot of hairline cracks in my Altron kit which doesn’t look good. This is only a few weeks after I assembled my kit. It’s giving me the impression that the plastic is a lot more brittle than I originally thought. Though this kit looks good, I suggest you handle this one with extra care.