Greetings folks! I’m here again for another Work In Progress, known to many of you as ‘WIP’. I was supposed to finish the Perfect Strike RM Gundam painting, but I suddenly had this insatiable urge to custom build the 1/144 L.O. Booster Gundam utilizing the new HG joints and stuff. I know that many of you out there consider the Gundam G-Unit line-up are ‘fugly’ and they are seriously outdated compared to the newer HG kits that most easy-going Gunpla modelers enjoy building now a days, but this is seriously better stuff compared to the now called ‘no grade’ 1/144 kits of the mid 90’s. I started Gunpla modeling rather late because the hobby has been around since the late 70’s and I only got introduced to it in the late 90’s, because I wasn’t even born yet at that time. Anyway, it was still during the time when MG kits were almost never heard of and majority of the kits circulating are the 1/144 no grade kits on major toy stores. After hearing about the mechas that were sold in toy stores that are related to this anime show, entitled “Gundam Wing” I became curious about these things called “Gundams”. It didn’t take too long after I first heard of these mythical Gundam toys that I bought my very first Gundam kit, the L.O. Booster Gundam from the Gundam Wing Side Story, the so called “G-Unit”. Unfortunately that very first kit I bought was a bootleg, after more than fourteen years, I never felt satisfied with the kit I bought and I thought that I should fix it up, but then the news that Bandai has re-released the G-Unit kits recently made me think that I should buy the official stuff and work that instead. And so I did!
Now, on with the build!! First thing I did was get my hands on the re-released Gundam Wing G-Unit kit for the L.O. Booster, or some of you guys came to call as the “Lobster Gundam”. I have seen so many negative reviews about this kit about how awful it is compared to the new HG kits of today and how idiotic and ugly its design is, but hey! It’s for nostalgia’s sake!! “Don’t buy it if you don’t like it”, is what I’d say. Besides, if I remember the story of the G-Unit Gundams, it was supposed to be Oz’s poor attempt in creating a mobile suit prototype based on these so-called ‘Gundams’ that were wreaking havoc to their forces on Earth, and that the G-Unit Gundams were the precursor for the Epiyon Which means, they are highly experimental, they weren’t even called Gundams for Pete’s sake! The young kid who stole the units just call them Gundams because that is what the five units sent to Earth fighting Oz were called and it was supposed to be the symbol of rebellion against Oz.
I bought this kit because this very same kit was the first Gundam model that I have ever owned and I’d like to update it a bit.
The kit doesn’t have many parts, it only has six trays, tray A1, A2 common trays also used for the Geminass Kit, tray B, C1, C2, and P.C.-115 which is the standard polycap tray for the early 1/144 GW and GX kits. The kit is also comprised with five colored plastic naming white, blue, bright red, dark red and clear pink for the beam sabers.
First off, I need to get some donor parts for the new HG joints, fortunately there is a bootleg kit for the 1/144 Geminass kit by Dragon Momoko. The quality of this kit is quite good and since the L.O. Booster Gundam is basically the Geminass with minor changes, I’ll hijack the torso and limbs from this kit and transplant the L.O. Booster stuff to it.
First is cut out the L.O. Booster parts that will be transplanted to the new body.
I have assembled the Geminass parts earlier and decided to take a photo of it for you guys to see. I only needed to change the head, the breast plate and the lower leg parts and retrofit it with the L.O. Booster upgrade parts and voila!
Not all is plain sailing when it came to transplanting the L.O. Booster upgrade parts to it. The breast plate of the L.O. Booster kit has two pegs protruding from it, and the Geminass torso also has protruding pegs where the breast plate should be installed. With that I had to mutilate the breast plate’s pegs to make it fit to the new body.
Surprisingly, the breastplate fit in quite easily with minimal sanding, or modification.
The head also needed a bit of machining to shorten the extra long neck.
Now the upper body looks normal.
Next up is the modifications for the lower knee join polycaps, but that will be on the next W.I.P. update. I was already too sleepy to continue working on it.
All in all, it didn’t require too much effort in retrofitting the parts of the older L.O. Booster Gundam kit to fit the updated Geminass. Many beginner modelers won’t have troubles doing this type of mod. That’s it for now, till next W.I.P.!